Frequently Asked Questions

Please view website disclaimer for to view legal terms and conditions: VIEW DISCLAIMER

General Questions

1. In what Metro Counties do you take cases?

Sykes Law offer meeting locations in Midtown, Downtown, and South Atlanta for your convenience. We practice primarily in DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Clayton, and Cobb Counties. However, we will travel to other jurisdictions outside of the Metro Atlanta area.

2. How often will you contact me regarding my case?

Our firm is dedicated to creating a strong relation with our client. As a client of Sykes Law, we call our clients and answer e-mails. Whenever there is new development in your case, our firm will contact you to keep you informed. In essence, we will contact you as often as you need us to regarding your case.

Family Law

1. How do I file for a divorce?

The person seeking the divorce must file a document in the appropriate Superior Court. This document, called the complaint contains information regarding the marriage such as; living arrangements, children of the marriage, description of marital assets, and the reasons for seeking a divorce. A copy of the complaint will be served on the other by a sheriff of the appropriate county, or that spouse may acknowledge service by signing a specific document in the presence of a notary public.

2. What are my child support obligations?

In Georgia, both parents can be required to provide assistance to their children until a child reaches the age of 18 years if not in high school, graduates from high school if eighteen years or older, reaches the age of 20 years and is still in high school, dies, marries, is emancipated or joins the military, whichever event occurs first. The non-custodial parent will generally be required to provide a reasonable amount of child support to the custodial parent to assist with living expenses. Child support may also include health insurance, payment of medical and dental expenses, and life insurance. Child Support Guidelines are in effect in Georgia. A calculation will need to be made to determine the appropriate amount of child support. Each party is required to prepare a Domestic Relations Financial Affidavit. The court can then balance the income and expenses of each party when determining the appropriate level of child support.

3. Can grandparents be awarded custody or visitation rights?

Yes, but the legal burden is much higher for grandparents which means it is harder for grandparents to achieve custody or visitation rights than parents. If either or both parents are fit, grandparents will likely not be awarded custody and may have a hard time achieving visitation rights.

Employment Law

1. What are some steps I can take to ensure my rights are protected?

Always protect your rights by documenting everything that has happened to you. It is legal in the State of Georgia to tape yourself and another person in a conversation. Gather any evidence that you can to support yourself, including the names and contact information for any witnesses that will help you. If you are having problems at work, review your employee handbook and complain about these problems to your human resources department. Retaliation for your complaints is illegal.

2. What can an employee do if they feel they have been discriminated against?

Employees who believe they have been discriminated against must bring a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission within 180 days. However, federal employees only have 45 days after the discriminating act to make a complaint. Employees with wage disputes have longer. Employment law is complex, and the remedies for each area are different.

3. What is the first step to moving forward with a claim?

The most important way to protect your rights is to contact an Attorney when you believe your rights have been violated. Employment issues are subject to different statute of limitations, meaning the acts must be reported within a specified time frame. If you do not act quickly enough, you may waive your right to legal actions in the future. Further, there are many strategic and timely actions you can take now to protect your rights well into your future. The best way to become aware of these rights and strategies is to speak to a lawyer. If you need assistance with a possible employment discrimination case, contact us today.